Thursday, March 24, 2016

Bath fire displaces 30 tenants, impacts businesses

As many as thirty tenants were displaced this morning when fire broke out at the Shannon Building at 56 Liberty Street in the village of Bath. Bath Fire Chief Joe Washburn tells us the first floor contains businesses and apartments fill the second and third floors. The alarm rang in about 4 a.m. and Bath fire quickly called for a second alarm, which brought in equipment and volunteers from a half dozen other agencies. Washburn said the fire was confined to an old elevator shaft and the third floor. When
Bath police arrived, they reported a fire on the roof and immediately began evacuating the occupants. Chief Washburn said the blaze was brought under control in about 45 minutes, but crews remained on scene for several hours. The cause is being probed by the Steuben County Fire Investigation Team and police said at 10 a.m. they were still conducting interviews. The Red Cross is helping those impacted. Chief Washburn said that, "right now, tenants can not return." Bath Mayor Bill Von Hagn told us "any fire downtown is bad," but noted it could have been much worse. Chief Washburn said in addition to the residents, four or five business were also impacted.