Saturday, March 5, 2016

Livingston County home burns - firefighter hurt

LIMA: Sheriff Thomas J. Dougherty says a home was damaged by fire on Poplar Hill Rd in the Town of Lima during the overnight hours.
This morning (3/5/16) at 12:54 a.m., the Livingston County Emergency Communications Center received a phone call reporting a structure fire involving an attached garage at a residence on Poplar Hill Rd in the Town of Lima.
Sheriff's Deputies responded to the scene along with numerous fire departments that included Livonia, Lakeville, Avon, East Avon, Hemlock, Rush, and Lima; and numerous ambulance companies which included Lima and Livonia; and ALS units from Honeoye Falls and Livonia.  Livingston County Fire Investigator's Kevin Niedermaier and Thomas McGory were on scene investigating as well.
One member of the East Avon Fire Department suffered injuries as a result of fighting the blaze and was treated at the scene and later transported to Strong Memorial Hospital for further treatment for second degree burns. Also, one of the occupants of the residence suffered minor smoke inhalation and was treated at the scene and released.
The preliminary cause of the fire is believed to be hot ashes taken out of a wood stove and placed inside a container that was inside the garage attached to the residence. 
Members of the Livingston County Sheriff's Office that responded included Deputy William Clarke, Deputy Caleb Cutting (FIU) and Sergeant James Merrick. American Red Cross also responded to the scene to render aid.
"This is a good reminder of two very important topics," stated Sheriff Dougherty.  "One, never place hot ashes in your home, near your home or in your out buildings.  Two, our volunteer firefighters in Livingston County are simply the best.  They volunteer their time to protect our residents and risk injury or worse every time they are called to a scene.  The injured member of the East Avon Fire Department is in our thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery."