Monday, April 11, 2016

Bath: Faulty heat gun triggers house fire

At 6:42 p.m. Sunday April 10th the Bath Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to smoke coming from a house at 257 McMaster Street in the Village of Bath. Firefighter John Walczak, who lives just two houses away, was the first on scene and called responding Chief Joe Washburn and confirmed to him a fire with smoke coming from the house and that no one appeared to be home. Chief Washburn then requested an engine from the Bath VA respond to the scene.
Fire crews made an aggressive interior attack and quickly extinguished the with smoke throughout the entire house. There were two family dogs in the home at the time which a neighbor is believed to have gotten out of the home safely and were found later.
After an investigation a faulty heat gun, used to start a coal stove in the corner earlier in the morning was left on the floor next to the stove started fire in the wall and floor of the home. There were no firefighter or civilian injuries and all units were called in service at 7:57pm.

Respectfully Submitted,
John Conrad Sr.
Public Information Officer
The Bath Volunteer Fire Dept.