Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Alfred University master’s graduate, Scio resident awarded SUNY Thayer Fellowship for art achievement

Photo: Hannah F. Thompsett of Scio is the recipient of a 2016 State University of New York Thayer Fellowship. She graduated from Alfred University this spring with a master of fine arts degree with a concentration in ceramics. The $7,000 Thayer Fellowship award serves as a bridge between academic study and first-time entry into a professional career. Thompsett is a daughter of John and Marybeth Thompsett and a graduate of Scio High School. Here she poses with some of her ceramic artwork.
Hannah F. Thompsett, who this spring earned a master’s degree from Alfred University’s School of Art and Design, College of Ceramics, has been awarded a State University of New York (SUNY) Thayer Fellowship.
The $7,000 award serves as a bridge between academic study and first-time entry into a professional career. The fellowship selection is based on talent, achievement, and potential as a professional artist.
Thompsett, a daughter of John and Marybeth Thompsett and a graduate of Scio High School, earned a master of fine arts degree with a concentration in ceramic art.
The Thayer Fellowships were established for SUNY by Walter N. Thayer, in honor of his wife Jeanne C. Thayer, who was a SUNY trustee from 1974-84. During that time she was the liaison trustee to the university-wide Committee on the Arts and helped plan and implement many projects in the visual and performing arts.
Applications are reviewed by a panel composed of non-SUNY professionals in the applicant’s field. Final decisions are made through audition and interview.
In her “Statement of Intent,” made in applying for the Thayer Fellowship, Thompsett said:
“By working with ceramics, paper, and photography, I examine the idea of constructed reality through the use of illusion and representation ….
“I am exploring the phenomena of light and visual perception. How does light move over a form or surface? And how do we apprehend it? How is the encounter affected when representation becomes a part of the equation? I have developed a way of working with these ideas that is reflective and meticulous. Personal time and space are the most crucial elements for the productivity and success of my practice…. 
“The next step in establishing my career as an artist is to invest in myself, my practice, and my community by setting up my own studio…. I have chosen to do this in Wellsville, a place and community with which I am familiar, because I know it will provide me with the proper atmosphere and resources to achieve my individual goals as an artist and to establish myself as an active participant within the community…. Wellsville and the surrounding area of Western New York also have a tremendously supportive arts community….
“This art community functions through the Wellsville Creative Arts Center, which provides a public platform for collective learning, gathering, and discussion.  This will present me with the opportunity to teach, access facilities, and reach out to artists and professionals in other locations.  I look forward to being a part of an inclusive and mutually beneficial environment in which all people involved can have an impact on the presence of art within their lives and community….”