Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2016

No Wal-Mart in Wellsville says Daily Reporter

By Brian Quinn
Daily Reporter
 



 WELLSVILLE — The Wal-Mart project is dead in Wellsville.

Town Supervisor Donald “Tink” LaForge Jr. Wednesday night said he’s been told the company will not build any more stores in New York state. He said he spoke to Wal-Mart attorney Kelly Pronti, though the town has never received that decision in writing.

“They said they were no longer going to have their project. They were going to kill it. I said, ‘What’s going on? Why?’ They said, ‘Well, they’re not building any more stores in New York state.’” LaForge said. “I said, ‘Was it something we did, something we can do? Anything we can do to keep it?’ They said, ‘No, they’re just not going to build any more stores in New York state ...”

LaForge said he has left messages for Pronti since talking to her about two weeks ago.

She won’t respond to my calls. She won’t respond to my emails. I don’t know what to think, why they won’t give us something in writing,” he said.

“It seems to be, in my opinion, the nail in the coffin,” the town supervisor said of the death of the planned Wal-Mart superstore.

However, at Wednesday’s board meeting, Councilman Jon Gardner said he’s not sure the Wal-Mart project in Wellsville is dead, even after the company spent around $3 billion to acquire Jet.com.

LaForge said, “Well, when they told me they’re not going to build any more stores in New York state, that means it’s dead. You can say what you want, but that’s pretty definite answer.”

Gardner said, “Well, I hear what you’re saying, but I don’t come to the same conclusion. I think we have expressed everything that we have heard, but there may be some legal matters, some legal strategy measures (open to the board),” Gardner said.

Councilman Shad Alsworth noted town attorney Michael Finn was not able to attend Wednesday’s meeting.

Alsworth said, “I’ve sat right between the two of you (LaForge and Gardner) as far as how I feel about this whole thing. It’s hard to take anything as absolute when they’re (Wal-Mart officials) not willing to put it in writing, No. 1,” Alsworth said.

The councilman said he agreed with Gardner and that he’s not OK with the way the Wal-Mart project in Wellsville ended recently. Click the link for more..

No Wal-Mart in Wellsville