Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Writer says thanks to Wellsville Police Chief

I am a disabled man that struggles in many ways, one difficulty being crossing a busy street, such as North Main St in Wellsville. It is very obvious, especially on N. Main St, that most people don't seem to understand that pedestrians have the right of way.  Often times vehicles don't even slow down when you are standing at a crosswalk.  Even further, for a man that has only one speed (slow), it makes it even more difficult to cross as people don't want to wait for me to cross from one side to another. On Tuesday, I was nearing the crosswalk in front of the David A. Howe Library, a popular place to cross toward the Municipal Building on any weekday.  As I approached the front sidewalk, I noticed Chief Tim O'Grady standing at the edge of the Library lawn speaking to some gentlemen.  As I came to the crosswalk, Chief O'Grady had stepped away from them and started to cross.  When he reached the sidewalk on the other side, he looked behind him and realized that I was waiting for traffic to pass so I could make it to my car in the parking beside the Municipal Building.  Chief O'Grady saw that the traffic I was waiting to pass so I could make my way to my car without any indication that they had any intentions of stopping for me.  At that point, he came back to the middle of the street and stopped traffic so I could cross and then crossed with me as I made my way.  This spoke volumes to me as it was a fantastic action for not only me, but any other pedestrian that could have been waiting at that or any other time.  I am very thankful for the kindness he exhibited to me.
It is in this day and age, as the world is handling it's most difficult times, especially in Wellsville and the horrific hate crime committed over the weekend, that I feel it is absolutely necessary to highlight that the Wellsville Police Department not only spends a copius amount of time investigating crimes in this village and to keeping it safe, but also that they do take individual time to show the public the most basic duties that are often overlooked and that's taking care the citizens in every way they can. 
If you see an officer of the department, please take the time to thank them.  Chief O'Grady set a very good example for the department and the community at large as the civil servants they are.  Don't forget that they are humans too, with the same kinds of needs that all of us have.  Chief O'Grady's small act of kindness may not mean much to anyone other than myself at the point of this message and Chief O'Grady may have thought of it as only doing his job, but doing that job meant the world to me; not only as a disabled person, but as the relevance of being a person at all and feels that he was doing more than his job, but as a person.  Sadly, it's not seen as often as it should anymore.
Thank you, Chief O'Grady.  You made a man's day by your small but kind gesture to help him with a very basic but difficult action.  It's people like you that makes the world a better place.​With many thanks,
Brian Newark